Thursday, March 11, 2010

MY FAVORITE JOKE


After years of trial and error, a team of scientists had at last been successful in creating life in their laboratory. They uncorked a bottle of champagne and engaged in a round of congratulatory back-slapping. The chief scientist called the raucous gathering to order and said, “I guess the first thing we have to do is let God know that he’s no longer needed.” They all agreed, and deputized a young member of their group to deliver the message. The scientist made an appointment with God, and was ushered cordially into His office. “Yes, my son, what can I do for you?” “Well, er… Mr. God, sir, you see, it’s like this…, we scientists have created life now, so, well, you’re no longer needed; you’re free to go.”

“I see,” said God. “Well, that may be, but, just to make sure, I propose we have a man-making contest.”

“Certainly,” said the young scientist.”

“You go first,” said God.

“All right,” said the scientist, as he bent over and scooped up a handful of soil. “No no no!” said God; you get your own dirt.”


____________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: This, my favorite joke, is not an advertisement for “creationism” (which I don’t buy. As a pastor I believe and teach that there is absolutely no conflict between evolutionary biology, cosmology, and the Christian faith or its texts). Rather, I submit it as a commentary on my favorite question: “What was there before there was something?” (as discussed in an earlier post.)

No comments: